August 5, 2015 at 6:27 pm #806231
I’m in the middle of building a bike for a friend. It’s a parts bin special, but in loose terms, it’ll be a 700C hybrid-ish bike for rail trail and backroad country rides.
The friend in question has struggled in life and has moved back to Ontario after a Type II diabetes diagnosis. Basically he needs the bike to start to get fit, but he’s pretty broke and living with family. My goal is to build a bike at no cost to him so he can get pedaling and hopefully build up a healthier lifestyle.
Between another friend and I, we’ve got the following parts in a mostly assembled state.
– fork – still needs a star fangled nut, but hoping to sort that out in the next day or so.
– BB and MTB crank set with rings
– mismatched front and rear shifters (8 spd Sram rear, Shimano 3 x front)
– Bar ends
– Cables and Housing
– v-brakes front and back with pads (one brake needs a small fix – I hope to sort out this week as well)
– brake levers
– rear rack
– Fr Der
As you can see, we’ve got a bunch of stuff together, but there are some holes still to fill. @fasttimes suggested I put the word out here in case anyone can help supply the remaining parts. As this is meant to be a freebie for my friend, donations are appreciated, but I can muster a small amount of cash if needed.
Here’s a list of what’s still missing.
– Wheelset (700c, standard QR hubs, 8spd freehub body preferred)
– Rear Sram Der compatible with 8spd
– 8 spd casette, ideally a MTB one for the wider spread
– 8spd chain
– Seattube collar (still need to confirm size, but it’s fairly thin tube alu, and a 27.2 seatpost)
– THIN shim for Shimano front Der (I have the thicker of the two standard shims, but it’s too thick)
– Downtube barrel adjusters (like a road bike)
– an under-bb cable guide (I expect I’ll have to buy this, but asking in case you’ve got one)
– a bottle cage or two would be nice, with bolts
If you have any of these and are willing to contribute, post here or pm me. you can also get me at reachdean (at) gmail (dot) com.
Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help out. Once it’s done, I am sure I can get a photo or two of my friend with his bike to share with those who have helped, if you’re so inclined.August 6, 2015 at 8:51 am #806236
Good on you.
Unfortunately, I have nothing that you need in a bin at this time. 🙁August 6, 2015 at 11:37 am #806249
micah356ParticipantAugust 9, 2015 at 7:55 pm #806288
Well, the bike is almost together! Thanks to those who have helped with the build. Two things remain. I need to get a starfangled nut put in the steertube (Whoops, forgot that one). I also need to find the seat. I put it in a really safe spot, and guess what… It’s safe, wherever it is…
But my friend should have his new bike within the week! He’s excited, because he knows that #ridingfeelsgood. 😉
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.