header ad

2018 World Cup DH Thread

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 2018 World Cup DH Thread

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Atom 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
ENVE

• Author

Atom
    Participant

Any interest in talking DH?

Last year was the first year that I closely followed the entire season, watching most of the races and following the story lines. God, what a season of racing. Minaar killing it. The mastery of Gwin. The mechanicals. The weather. The 29/27 debate. The tracks. Ahhh. So exciting. I would scream at my computer while watching the races.

Gwin’s run at Ste. Anne:

The man is a god on a bike.

It all got me so stoked to ride my bike.

As for 2018, I’m really hoping to see Danny Hart win a few races and compete for the overall. As well, following the 2016 season, I thought we’d see a better showing from Loic Bruni last year. I’m hoping to see him do well. I really think it’s possible that we could see a 3,4 or 5 man chase for the overall this season.

Thoughts, predictions for the 2018 season? I think Gwin is always the favourite to win, but my heart is going with Danny. Pray for rain.

Canadmos
    Participant

I’m excited to see how Finn will do this summer.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

I’m also hoping Danny kills it. Always cheering for Greg, he’s just such a champ on and off the bike. Also hoping to see the women catch Rachel when she is healthy. More 29ers under some riders but happy to see they are not dominating and hope the courses get harder to even things out.

aerius
    Participant

The good news is they got rid of Cairnes, tracks where racers can be competitive on an enduro bike have no business being on the DH schedule. Unfortunately Lourdes is also gone, and it was one of the best tracks in the past few yeas. In exchange we get La Bresse (mediocre) and Losinj, which sounds awfully close to “losing”. Losinj looks like it was custom made for 29ers to win on, not steep at all, long rock garden sections, and a pavement pedal section at the end. Also has high injury potential as they’re herding riders into stone walls. It’s a dumb track that’s not particularly fun to watch or ride with a very high chance of getting racers hurt. I will be surprised if someone doesn’t go face first into a wall and suffer a season ending injury.

This is what’s wrong with the UCI.
    httpsps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJWD8nF-Hfk

Atom
    Participant

I’m excited to see how Finn will do this summer.

Ah, how could I forget. That would be awesome to see him able to keep up with the heavy weights.

Atom
    Participant

Ahhhh, we’re racing this weekend. Am I the only one that adores those Vital Raw videos that get posted before race day?

For stoke:

Canadmos
    Participant

Yeah Vital has some of the best content. Their slideshows are awesome. I like how they have wonderful photos along with a lot of words directly from the riders.

There’s a lot of talk about this track not being the best, but I don’t care at this point, I am stoked to start watching some racing again.

Atom
    Participant

I think eventually there will be race #2.

Atom
    Participant

I can’t believe all the up and comers this year. The competition is insane. Pierron going for 4! Craziness. I’m happy to see some good results out of Danny.

A shame we won’t be seeing Minaar or Gwin this weekend.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

One of the best years in many. Lots of up and comers, like you said which, is pushing the limits of the old guard. Records on the line. Both the men and women’s fields are deep. Wheel size is almost a non-issue again, not being discussed in colour commentary. We have some legit tracks to watch them race on. MSA next!

Balfa would have dominated were they still around. The high pivot bike is back! Best sport in the world!

Not sure if everyone has seen Gamble, but wow, DH riders are pushing it hard. To the limit. Hard to believe they can go faster.

Atom
    Participant

I saw Gamble. It was great. I kind of fell in love with Brook MacDonald and have been pumped to see some big results out of his lately.

I’m glad they aren’t talking about 27.5/29 in the commentary, but from what I’ve experienced through the grips and pedals, I can’t believe they aren’t all on 29ers. The only thing I can think of as a comparison is tennis. A friend of mine that was an excellent tennis player lent me his racket, same one as Federer. It had a tiny head and was heavy. So easy to miss hit it, but if you knew what you were doing, you could destroy the ball. All that to say, pros are pros and our experience doesn’t mean a thing. They are different animals.

You going to make the trip to MSA?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX