header ad

2018 Fat bike season – what's your setup

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 2018 Fat bike season – what's your setup

This topic contains 37 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  soban 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
ENVE

• Author

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Just pulled the trigger on a set of 45NRTH 27.5×3″ studded Wrathchild tires. I wanted a set last year but they were sold out everywhere. There are a lot of freeze/thaw days where these will be great. Could have used them yesterday. Big volume was no help but these would have been mint.

I have Dillinger 4 studded tires but many times they are overkill and I would rather have these on something like my Tallboy. i love my fatbike but there are many times I wish I was just on a proper trail bike. I’ve got a few bikes these tires will mount up on so just excited to have a few more riding option for the winter.

Sweetpetes carries these if anyone is looking to order a pair.

Santa Cruz

soban
    Participant

@fasttimes I was briefly looking at this tires last year and you are right they were sold everywhere. In theory they would be perfect for places that either gets groomed or are packed down. Let us know how they work out.

Since this thread went a little “low fat” I wanted to my first venture into winter riding and sing my praise for studded tires. I picked up a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro for my Top Fuel and they’ve been excellent. Running them at 11/15 PSI on a 22.5 mm internal spare wheelset. I’ve been riding Durham for last few weeks and find I can outpace everyone on fat bikes. My typical rides average 15kph. If the trails are packed (which they are in Durham 99% of the time) Grip > Volume. Considering DMBA is looking into mechanical grooming once again I think I am golden for the winter.

Here’s a beauty shot:

BlurredLines
    Participant

@fasttimes – Make sure you follow the directions about bedding those studs in. I’ve got two friends that didn’t and had studs flying out of them in a real hurry.

@soban that looks super fun, but I think that pace may have something to do with all your effort over the last year!

My rig is really just an evolution this season. Elliptical chain ring in place of the round one, and a RaceFace Turbine R in place of the Fox Transfer. Yes they’re the same post, the Turbine R has a higher return speed that is especially apparent in the cold.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Slick setup @soban That thing will rip the winter wonderland. I’m looking at a set of those tires for my Salsa. They set up tubeless ok? Any squirm at low PSI?

Thanks for sharing enjoy.

@blurredlines Noted on bedding. I lost a few on my Dillinger 4’s since got replacement studs and tool. Not a biggie and haven’t lost any since. These plus tires will get a better break-in however as they will see harder, off-camber surfaces than the Dillingers. Cheers!

soban
    Participant

@fasttimes Thank you! I was able to set them up tubeless without any issues. I use a tubeless floor pump and they seated on the first try. The air retention is even better than my Maxxis Ikon EXO. There is no noticeable squirm on snow/ice considering the narrow rim and low pressure. My theory is that snow/ice doesn’t allow huge cornering forces to deform the tire. I haven’t tested them on dirt yet. The level of grip they provide overall is just incredible. You’ll love them šŸ™‚

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Thanks for the report @soban Iā€™ll have to ask Santa.

Happy trails!

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Got the 45NRTH Wrathchild tires mounted and they have already become my favourite new tire. Rolled the dice on the mid-fat setup yesterday but was blow away by the performance. Felt like better overall traction than the 4″ studded Dillinger tires. Certainly felt way more fun to be on a nimble trail bike. Was at 12/13PSI and could have gone softer. The sidewalls are beefy and supportive. I didn’t bother to break them in, no studs lost. I was pushing the limits hard and the tires never gave. They have really aggressive knobs which were quite confidence inspiring. They bit on the glare ice and on the softer sections with ice below. The Dillingers tend to break loose in these situations as they have a shallower thread. So pumped to get back out on this bike.

soban
    Participant

That is such a sweet setup! Love the black and grey theme throughout. The ultimate winter slayer.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX