header ad

2017 Rides – What Are YOU Riding This Year?

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 2017 Rides – What Are YOU Riding This Year?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Shortcuttomoncton 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
ENVE

• Author

Atom
    Participant

Brother of Honzo, cousin? I’ve had it since last fall and it’s a very capable bike.

So pumped for dirt!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1817.jpg

Attachments:

dexter01
    Participant

Finally had a chance to get the new bike out on some trails today, this thing is pretty awesome. The geometry and fit is spot on, the bike seems huge standing still but handles like a dream once you’re moving. I was worried that the long reach would be too much but it totally works. I can’t wait to get some more time on it!

Attachments:
    1. image.jpg

Attachments:

jcitizen
    Participant

The geo definitely works. I still find mine a touch long when seated & spinning, but actually like it going up as I don’t feel so cramped in the cockpit on tight switchbacks. I’m assuming it’s the shorter chainstays, but the rear tire grip is amazing, and you can feel it pivot around behind you, which is different than my last bike. I was sold on the bike when I entered the last tight turn going down after Climbmax (which this bike can do no probs). I came in a bit hot and thought there was gonna be problems, but suddenly I found myself confidently taking the turn, super stable. Awesome!

soban
    Participant

@fasttimes I have a thing for brushed metal and damn those Ti bikes look nice! Quite the collection you got there.

@shortcuttomoncton That is one gorgeous looking bike. Love Yetis frame designs. Kinda remind me of classic exotic cars.

I demoed lots of bikes last year and the 29er wheel size overall appealed to me. Since I loved the agility of my Giant Anthem and sticking to the XC discipline, I decided to treat myself with a Trek Top Fuel 9.8. Just picked it up last week and it hasn’t seen any dirt yet. Can’t wait to give it a go! Changes over stock include getting rid of the SRAM shifter/derailleur/cassette to XTR. M1700 DT Swiss wheels and 9.8 dropper. Going to put some beefy tires for the Don because those bonty XR1s look scary for shoulder seasons.

Attachments:

aerius
    Participant

I’ve come to the realization that modern bikes are disposable pieces of plastic suckiness, and returned to the goodness of Italian steel tubes and purple anodized chainring bolts.

Attachments:

Jason Petznick
    Participant

No additions planned for my stable this summer, however I am looking at making a few upgrades on my Trance (1×11, new dropper, brake swap)

And really looking forward to putting a few more km on the Klunker this year. Took it out for a couple trail rides last fall, and had a few “fully clenched” moments.

alegs
    Participant

Said goodbye to my Process and said hello to this beauty for the 2017 season. Trek Fuel EX 27.5+ 9.8 was a dream on snow. Looking forward to introducing her to some dirt ASAP.

Attachments:

micah356
    Participant

First ride today. 2016 Process 111 with a few key upgrades.

Attachments:

Canadmos
    Participant

@aerius not all modern bikes are plastic and disposable 😛

I’m still riding my 2013 Banshee Spitfire. It must have over 6000km of trail on it now. Obviously parts on it have been replaced, but its still going strong.

New this year is a Giant Revolt 1. Picked this thing up for those crappy mud days to go ride some paths and gravel. So far so good.

Also still rocking the purple Turner DHR.

Oldies but goodies.

Whynot
    Participant

Going to put some beefy tires for the Don because those bonty XR1s look scary for shoulder seasons.

Yeah, those tires won’t do much for you on wet clay of the Don spring/fall (what does?) but otherwise they may surprise you. I’ve been running them for two seasons now, primarily in Durham Forest and at first I didn’t like them at all, then I went tubeless and started playing around with pressures and am rather impressed now that I have found the sweet spot for my set up and riding style. They’re remarkably grippy despite the understated profile and hold corners better than I thought. I was hell bent to replace them at first, now I see the wear on them and regret having to consider replacing them (Still on 26 and the tire choices are getting slim….)

1 user thanked author for this post.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Sweet stable @canadmos. Love that DHR!

soban
    Participant

Yeah, those tires won’t do much for you on wet clay of the Don spring/fall (what does?) but otherwise they may surprise you. I’ve been running them for two seasons now, primarily in Durham Forest and at first I didn’t like them at all, then I went tubeless and started playing around with pressures and am rather impressed now that I have found the sweet spot for my set up and riding style. They’re remarkably grippy despite the understated profile and hold corners better than I thought. I was hell bent to replace them at first, now I see the wear on them and regret having to consider replacing them (Still on 26 and the tire choices are getting slim….)

That sounds great! I am going to mount them probably by June when things are bone dry. I noticed the 29×2.2 blow up true to their size and feel pretty high volume. I can totally see it being great for Durham. They are freaking light too. Definitely will be setting them up tubeless.

For now I mounted a Nobby Nic Trailstar front and Racing Ralph rear. Let’s see how that combo goes for Don. I heard a lot of good things.

For 26er I really enjoyed Schwalbe Rocket Ron last summer. I found it to be a great all arounder.

iBeRash
    Participant

Picked this up a few weeks ago. First new bike in years 😀 .

Renegade Hardware
    Participant

I’ll be continuing my trend of buying new suspension each year because I didn’t like the stuff I ran last yuear. it’s becoming an expensive trend, but thats how it goes. Fox 36 factory and DVO topaz lined up to replace CC Inline and 350Cr.

jcitizen
    Participant

Sweet stealth rig!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX