header ad

2015 Rides – What Are YOU Riding This Year?

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 2015 Rides – What Are YOU Riding This Year?

This topic contains 124 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  jcitizen 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 125 total)
ENVE

• Author

micah356
    Participant

Finished my Honzo today, check it out in the Hardtails thread.

Attachments:
    1. Honzo01.jpg

Attachments:

bkreinhart
    Participant

So many cool rides in here. I’m excited to say I’m going to have another one to add.. just waiting to get it back from paint (@hungqlam) Pumped!

fietser
    Participant

Well, fiester Jr. has outgrown his Run bike (which was also being frequently borrowed by his sister) so we figured it was time to pony up for a new ride. Training wheels may go back on to save my back – and his knees, elbows, chin…

Huge thanks to @cyclesolutions on Parliament for the hook up, you guys are great – sorry about using the store as a test track. My daughter also loves the strawberry basket on her new to her Run Bike – colour matches perfectly!

Attachments:
    1. New-Ride.jpg

Attachments:

jcitizen
    Participant

Well, fiester Jr. has outgrown his Run bike (which was also being frequently borrowed by his sister) so we figured it was time to pony up for a new ride. Training wheels may go back on to save my back – and his knees, elbows, chin…

Huge thanks to @cyclesolutions on Parliament for the hook up, you guys are great – sorry about using the store as a test track. My daughter also loves the strawberry basket on her new to her Run Bike – colour matches perfectly!

We just grabbed a run bike for Hannah from CS on Saturday. She doesn’t get it, haha

Cracker
    Participant

@fietser, you might want to knock the pedals off the new big bike for Jr, run it like a run bike and then put them back on when he’s ready.

Did that with my daughter and it worked pretty good, she was pedalling pretty quickly after getting comfortable balancing on the bigger bike. This was recommended by the folks at Joyride.

Spent some time yesterday painting big sister’s old bike red for middle brother. Also took big sister for her first decent distance yesterday in the Humber and then for ice cream in Bloor West Village.

To get back on topic, will post pics of the kids fleet of bikes soon.

fietser
    Participant

@cracker great tip! Thanks. Consider it done after work today.

bkreinhart
    Participant

@fietser, you might want to knock the pedals off the new big bike for Jr, run it like a run bike and then put them back on when he’s ready.

A tip that will help immensely.

Another thing that I found helped when teaching little ones to ride without training wheels is for when you do put the pedals back on. Each kid’s eyes are naturally going point straight down to find the pedals which makes starting difficult. I used to use big soft punching bag type things and encourage them to ride into it from a short distance. Most kids found this very satisfying and made for a laugh. This way, they never take their eyes off of the bag (heads up, eyes up) and the natural balance that they’d learned without pedals comes into play.

Have anything they can aim at? Even another sibling? Dog? 😉

Eventually I got them to chase me around which worked just as well until a few fast kids ran me down lol.

Back on topic, I’m working on getting a photo of my work in progress road rig to add here. Took her out for ~70-80k on the weekend.

hungqlam
    Participant

And here’s my commuter that accompanied @bkreinhart on said 70k ride. Running a temp. rear wheel because I couldn’t find the new freewheel I bought for mine… So I stole the girlfriend’s wheel haha.

Whynot
    Participant

A tip that will help immensely.

Another thing that I found helped when teaching little ones to ride without training wheels is for when you do put the pedals back on. Each kid’s eyes are naturally going point straight down to find the pedals which makes starting difficult. I used to use big soft punching bag type things and encourage them to ride into it from a short distance. Most kids found this very satisfying and made for a laugh. This way, they never take their eyes off of the bag (heads up, eyes up) and the natural balance that they’d learned without pedals comes into play.

Have anything they can aim at? Even another sibling? Dog? ;)

Eventually I got them to chase me around which worked just as well until a few fast kids ran me down lol.

Back on topic, I’m working on getting a photo of my work in progress road rig to add here. Took her out for ~70-80k on the weekend.

As my daughter transitioned from her run bike to pedals I rode with her towing the trail-a-bike which got her used to heads up riding with pedals. A week or so on the bigger bike without pedals and when the pedals went back on she just rode away and hasn’t looked back.

I also suggest cousins or friends around their age that can ride… the best motivation is wanting to be part of the group.

bkreinhart
    Participant

As my daughter transitioned from her run bike to pedals I rode with her towing the trail-a-bike which got her used to heads up riding with pedals. A week or so on the bigger bike without pedals and when the pedals went back on she just rode away and hasn’t looked back.

I also suggest cousins or friends around their age that can ride… the best motivation is wanting to be part of the group.

Interesting idea @whynot. They would get the idea of pedaling and leaning one way or another to keep balance. Did you find there were issues with them paying attention to what’s actually going on? Reason I ask is I frequently see kids on a trail-a-bike sitting on their bikes, holding on and gawking around like they’re riding in a car.

Wanting to be part of the group makes sense, but I find a lot of times parents try and use that as motivation but actually end up depressing/frustrating their kids if they haven’t taken appropriate learning steps ahead of time. “If you don’t learn to ride without training wheels you can’t go biking with __________”. If they really want to do it but just can’t for whatever reason, they tend to get upset and give up. On the other side of the coin, it can work quite nicely if the foundational skills are there already.

From my experiences, best to be sure to teach the basics first with fun games between just you and them. Get it figured out and then the reward of being able to ride with the others comes later and is discovered by them rather than used as a carrot on a stick by parents.

Of course, every kid and every parent is different– simply what has worked for me when I taught bike camps.

Whynot
    Participant

@bkreinhart – Definitely have to make sure the kid is engaged in cycling and paying attention to get the benefit of the trail-a-bike. I tried a season too soon (4yo) and had much better interest the second year that I tried this method.

And re: using peer pressure, you’re 100% correct. I didn’t use it as an overt “carrot”, she actually chose this as her motivation and it worked great. She’s the one of the youngest of all the cousins and has always pushed herself to keep up with them. We’d covered the run bike and trail-a-bike by that time so I knew that she had the fundamentals to ride. Otherwise it could have been a disaster!

Then there is my younger daughter who looks at a bike like a shiny thing to hang other shiny pretty things on… oh well, 1/2 have caught the bug!

jcitizen
    Participant

Picked up my new wheels from Solutions via Matty that I’ll be riding on, one day. The hubs feel precise and substantial, without weighing a tonne. Mixed feelings about having rear hub buzz again, but I’ll take it if it means I have a rear hub that’ll do me right for years. Surprisingly an extra 2mm of internal rim width is visually noticeable, too. Now I just need a damn bike frame…

Attachments:

aragon
    Participant

Always a nice day when you get a new set of King-based wheels… on Mother’s Day, no less. You done well, @jcitizen…!

jcitizen
    Participant

I’m a lucky mother, what can I say.

They’ve been around a while, just haven’t picked them up. Only so much time I wanna spend staring at them before they’re on my bike.

bkreinhart
    Participant

Then there is my younger daughter who looks at a bike like a shiny thing to hang other shiny pretty things on… oh well, 1/2 have caught the bug!

Haha, got it 1/2 right! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX