header ad

4 Days, Where To Ride?

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 4 Days, Where To Ride?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Canadmos 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
ENVE

• Author

Jason Petznick
    Participant

Going to put this one to the group since I think it might make for some interesting discussion.

I have the next four Fridays off and the goal is to ride somewhere new and different every week. I live in Meaford, but have managed to make my way around to a few spots outside the region more than a few times, so the following locations are out:

– Three Stage
    – Kolapore
    – Dufferin Forest
    – Turkey Point
    – Hydrocut
    – Copeland
    – Puslich
    – St Catharines

Would like to put in 25km+ per day, and possibly have some wet weather options in there. Current short list is:

– Don
    – Buckwallow
    – Guelph Lake
    – Albion/Palgrave
    – Ganaraska
    – Kelso
    – Woodstock

So, what are your thoughts? What would you do, where would you set sail to considering these will be round trips each day?

Santa Cruz

Atom
    Participant

I’d give the Ganny a pass. It gets very little love (ie no trail work) and can be tough to navigate.

The Don is fun if you’ve never been. And it will be beautiful up near Buckwallow. That’s where I’d start.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

I’d skip Ganny and Guelph Lake personally. I’d suggest Durham over either of those options. You can link together Durham, Dagmar and 3Rox to make an easy 70km loop or a banging 25km loop. You can also session the Dagmar DH trails (not part of the DMBA Dagmar loop – confusing I know)

I’d also consider The Agreement Forest over Kelso. It’s got lots of tech, very little flow but you’re on flats and there are some incredible bits. Good place to spend a day exploring in. Park at the Mohawk Race Track as there have been break-ins in some of the more tucked away lots.

Also be great to show you Etobicoke Creek, Pretty killer 30km loop and it’s running super well right now. Also not sure if you did the “proper” loop at Puslinch but it would be fun to show you that baby. It’s got crazy flow if done correctly.

If i’m up your way, I can show you some secret stuff up Bucky way. #ontarioslabs Bucky is great, as are the new MORCA trails. Just not very long.

No matter what you decide, have fun bud. Stoked you get these ride days!

Jason Petznick
    Participant

First week is in the books. 17+ km at Buckwallow followed by a quick wakeboard session at What Wake Park in Bala. I had been to Bucky once before for a Cycle Solutions fall demo day, but road the same quick loop each time as I was comparing bikes and didn’t want to disappear for too long on a ride that someone else was waiting for. Now I’m just trying to settle on this week’s destination.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6774.jpg

Attachments:

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Where did you ride last Friday? Where to next buddy?

Was in Ottawa this weekend, single digits. Fall is coming. #falltimealltime

Jason Petznick
    Participant

Had to hang out around the house on Friday morning to wait for someone to come diagnose an issue with our washing machine. Meant I couldn’t venture out to any of the real far-off destinations, so settled on Albion Hills and managed to sneak in 22+ km around the park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1826118485

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6789.jpg

Attachments:

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Albion and Palgrave are pretty fun, as far as XC loops go. Bit on the mellow side of tech but you can cook through there for sure. Glad ya got out!

Jason Petznick
    Participant

With my wife sick at home, I had to keep it a little bit closer to home again this past week. Snuck out and logged about 15km at Copeland Forest trying to ride trails that were new to me. Found quite a few downed trees and was also pretty disappointed to see the amount of horse droppings left behind on the singletrack by equestrians. Still beats a day at the office though!

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Equestrians are an issue everywhere. I’m great with sharing the forest with them but when they destroy purpose built singletrack I lose respect. There is lots of multi use double track for them to enjoy.

Unfortunately like in Dufferin, the land manager wants everyone to get along and for any trails built to be for all users.

I think most of the equestrians respect and understand that they cause damage to singletrack but a few seem entitled, though rarely contribute.

Those trails are some of the best in Ontario. Glad you got out for some turns.

What’s on deck this week?

jhop
    Participant

I’d also consider The Agreement Forest over Kelso. It’s got lots of tech, very little flow but you’re on flats and there are some incredible bits. Good place to spend a day exploring in. Park at the Mohawk Race Track as there have been break-ins in some of the more tucked away lots.

not to threadjack but question for you @fasttimes. i got a last minute morning job near kelso and was planning to ride there after work tmrw am. any reason to choose agreement forest? im happy to ride anything new and never been to either. any recommended routes/trails? I can piece a ride together on trailforks but figured you cant beat first hand knowledge…..

looks like a good day to ride tomorrow!

also thanks for an awesome pic you snapped of me at showcase chainless ride Jason!

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Sorry just out of town on a shoot.

I prefer the AF. Getting lost in there is half the fun. It’s not for everyone but it’s a beautiful forest and the trails are challenging. Better loop feeling to be had there. Kelso has a forced feeling. It’s easier there ifcricks aren’t your thing.

Jason Petznick
    Participant

Knocked out 20+ km at Guelph Lake this past Friday as I had to make my way down that direction for a dragon boat regatta on Saturday. Got caught in a storm on my way out, and ended up turned around a few times trying to make my way back to the car. Quite a few good trails in there, but tough to navigate with all the intersections and some dated signage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1856897148

Attachments:

MikeC
    Participant

Wait what you live in Meaford???? So do I. Technically. I am on the western edge of the municipality so I do everything in Owen Sound. Have you ridden Owen Sound lately? The trails in Smiths Bush are excellent and new stuff is being built all the time. Let me know if you ever want a tour. Cheers, Mike

Jason Petznick
    Participant

Wait what you live in Meaford???? So do I. Technically. I am on the western edge of the municipality so I do everything in Owen Sound. Have you ridden Owen Sound lately? The trails in Smiths Bush are excellent and new stuff is being built all the time. Let me know if you ever want a tour. Cheers, Mike

Ya! My now-wife and I bought a place in town a little less than two years ago. Haven’t been over to Owen Sound this summer, but spent a few days last summer exploring the Sawmill Trails, West Rocks and Inglis Falls. I’ve heard about Smith’s Bush from some locals, but have only hiked through there on the Bruce Trail.

Canadmos
    Participant

Equestrians are an issue everywhere. I’m great with sharing the forest with them but when they destroy purpose built singletrack I lose respect. There is lots of multi use double track for them to enjoy.
    Unfortunately like in Dufferin, the land manager wants everyone to get along and for any trails built to be for all users.
    I think most of the equestrians respect and understand that they cause damage to singletrack but a few seem entitled, though rarely contribute.
    Those trails are some of the best in Ontario. Glad you got out for some turns.
    What’s on deck this week?

Have you read the new Dufferin bylaw? Its pretty interesting what’s going on over there, in terms of trail use.

The bylaw states that horse riders must move their horsecrap off the trail and it also goes on to explain that horse DO cause damage. Its the first time I’ve ever read such a thing haha.

There are always rotten apples. A few days after the new bylaw marked trail signs went up, there was fresh horse tracks (and poo) on one of the unmarked bike trails.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX