header ad

4/20 Ride 2018!

HOME FORUM RIDING GREATER TORONTO AREA THE DON VALLEY 4/20 Ride 2018!

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Marley 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
ENVE

• Author

Marley
    Participant

All this snow sleet and frigid weather has me of course thinking of the fine riding we will be doing in a short few weeks time. For those that don’t know, the 4th month and 20th day is the long-term average “green light for all the Don trails” based on historical records. It is known. 4/20 is also the unofficial name of the first group ride of spring (regardless of calendar date).

Lets ride! Saturday, April 21. Loblaws Redway at… 4:20 (duh!)

No set rain date at this point because it is always glorious this day! It is known.

Pacing for this ride has been a bit of an issue in the past with some who have been training all winter and itching to hammer, and others who have not been on a bike since fall, so we will split into a few group at the cricket tree with different routes depending on appetite.

As always, this is an informal ride, and not an organized club event. There are no formal rules to follow, but the aim of the ride is to have fun and ride as hard as we can. Let’s welcome new riders who also want to have fun and ride hard, and, just as importantly, let’s respect each other. We don’t want to create an intimidating, hostile or discriminatory ride where people don’t feel welcome. Sexism, racism, homophobia or any other kind of behaviour that undermines dignity and self-esteem of others makes everyone uncomfortable and will not be treated as frivolous. If you encounter hurtful language or harassment of any kind, please let someone know and they will do their best to support you.

Afterparty at the Rocket… details to follow soon!

Attachments:
    1. 420_2017.jpg

Attachments:
    Santa Cruz

1 user thanked author for this post.

Marley
    Participant

Big Air after party at the rocket!

Mikester, cmos and DJ Don Destructor will bombard you will all the hard rock and heavy metal you could hope to air guitar/bass/drum or scream to. Yes it will be face melting, and yes it will be cranked to 11. Check out the amazing poster below by Alen!

Though this is a “bring your own food” affair, chef Dan will be working the grill with some of his smoking chicken on offer in three fine flavours:

• Blackened Lime
    • Dry Rub Curry
    • Chili BBQ Rub

There is a BBQ! Stop by at the Loblaws on the way to pick up your own food to grill, sides, or something else if that is your preference.

We fire it up after the ride (sundownish) and expect to go late!

1 user thanked author for this post.

soban
    Participant

Super cool! Thanks for organizing this event once again. Will definitely drop by.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Thanks for putting this together @marley, looks amazing!

i will be in Schedzona that week but back on the 21st. If I can swing it, I will drop by.

Let’s hope the weather cooperates.

alen_z
    Participant

Free air t-shirts!?!?! COUNT ME IN!

jcitizen
    Participant

Bummer! wish I could make it. Save me an air shirt.

mcbain
    Participant

Pretty sure they’re just gonna spray paint the shirt you’re wearing 😉

jjb
    Participant

We don’t want to create an intimidating, hostile or discriminatory ride where people don’t feel welcome.

What about ebikes in the Don? Can we still disparage them or is that so 2017?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6146.jpg

Attachments:

BlurredLines
    Participant

Sign me up for “Slow” and “Fat”

Marley
    Participant

Hey @jjb. Wow, I have not seen the picture before. Crazy! Of course, healthy debate around ebikes or anything else when it arises is more than welcome, but the point there is to be respectful of each other and not have people not feel welcome because of who they are.

@blurredlines We’ll call it the “what’s a trainer?” group!

I have heard some skepticism that this ride will still be happening because it’s still so damn miserable out, but it is still on and next weekend will be glorious. Believe it!

pippozz
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum, although I’ve been following it for a while.

I started riding again last year(in the Don). This year I’ve been itching to ride like everyone else. Loving this weather..

I’ll definitely try to make it on Saturday.

One question. I got a new Trance 2 and have been waiting and waiting to ride it, as I really don’t want to ruin it with salt etc. (I commute to the trails through the city, so I ride on the streets on my way there and back). I have zero experience with bikes and salt, as this is my first winter riding in Canada.. How bad are these conditions for these bikes? Do you think that the rain will be able to clean up the road enough during the next 2-3 days?

Thank you all and hope to see you this weekend!

Canadmos
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum, although I’ve been following it for a while.

I started riding again last year(in the Don). This year I’ve been itching to ride like everyone else. Loving this weather..

I’ll definitely try to make it on Saturday.

One question. I got a new Trance 2 and have been waiting and waiting to ride it, as I really don’t want to ruin it with salt etc. (I commute to the trails through the city, so I ride on the streets on my way there and back). I have zero experience with bikes and salt, as this is my first winter riding in Canada.. How bad are these conditions for these bikes? Do you think that the rain will be able to clean up the road enough during the next 2-3 days?

Thank you all and hope to see you this weekend!

The salt is pretty bad for the bearings and drive train if you leave it sitting there. Its okay for a few rides, but definitely give it a good hosing afterwards. Just don’t use high pressure water to wash it, or you’ll risk pushing that salty water into places you don’t want it.

Marley
    Participant

Hi @pippozz hope to see you out on the ride!

Salt is an enemy of high end bike components to be sure. I try to minimize exposure, but personally I’m not overly fanatical about it. The city is pretty aggressive with salting, but I understand the contracts each winter end April 1, which is part of the reason this past weekend was so treacherous. Should be all good!

pippozz
    Participant

Thank you both @canadmos and @marley.

Sounds good. I still didn’t bring the bike out once, so hopefully this weekend should be good. Can’t wait.

BTW, do you know if 2.4 tires would fit on a TTC bus bike rack?

Again, thanks so much for your responses.

Baillout
    Participant

So I got out on my bike for the first time this season last night. I rode the paved and gravel paths through the Don. The trails that are visable from the paved paths were not looking very rideable. I am just trying to plan my weekend. Is there still hope that we will be doing the 420 ride this weekend or are we getting ready to throw in the towel and start the planning for a rain date?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX