header ad

2018 Races and events, whats on your list?

HOME FORUM RIDING FEELS GOOD FORUM TALKING ABOUT BIKES 2018 Races and events, whats on your list?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  FastTimes 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
ENVE

• Author

FastTimes
    Keymaster

I really enjoyed my time at the Singletrack 6 last year. Think that will be a tough experience to replicate. If you haven’t already, you can read my story here: http://www.ridingfeelsgood.com/singletrack-6-experience-trip-lifetime-west-kootenays/

Im looking at a few events for this year including:

Downieville Classic http://downievilleclassic.com/downieville-classic/all-mountain
    I’d be doing the two day all-mountain options. One day monster XC ride with climb to the top followed by downhill the following day. Caveat is that you must race the DH on the same bike you raced the XC on. I rode Downieville early in the spring last year and it was unreal.

Trans- Cascadia http://trans-cascadia.com
    4 days of raw, primitive, blind, enduro racing in the best the PNW has to offer. Amazing camp life surrounded by nature. and loam, so much loam.

Breck Epic https://breckepic.com
    Similar to ST6 but more XC, and at elevation. I’d love to ride in that part of the world but it looks a bit too XC for my taste, My neighbour did it two years a ago and said the vibe was just “ok”.

Trans-Sylvania Epic http://outdoorexperience.org/tse/
    7 day stage race, also more XC but vibe is off the charts.

Anyone done any of these, or doing another one you’d like to share?

Santa Cruz

BlurredLines
    Participant

I’m super into the idea of doing these sorts of events, so I’m pretty stoked to see the return of Crank The Shield so that there’s an option a little closer to home. Not the same big mountain experience, but certainly more accessible

Canadmos
    Participant

Not into racing, but will be going to the Dirt Rag Dirt Fest in Pennsylvania again this spring. Had a great time last year.

Atom
    Participant

Some very cool races there.

I tried racing some OCUP XC races last year. I had always wanted to give it a shot. I soon learned, that kind of racing is not for me. So much pressure! It was no fun and made normal riding feel like training. I have tons of respect for racers that stare down that kind of pressure and excel. I did enjoy the racing to a degree, but for the money you spend vs. time on a bike, it’s just not worth it for me. I’d rather ride with my friends and try new trails or go back to old favourites. I would do the Sir Sams XC race again. The course is great there.

As for this year, I will do the Albion 24 hour race with friends, as I do each year. Otherwise, I’m going to focus on road trips if I have the time/money to get away.

Jason Petznick
    Participant

I’m planning on throwing my hat in the ring for the Canadian National Enduro Series at Blue Mountain this year. Didn’t do it last year because I didn’t think I had logged enough climbing time, and don’t want that to be my excuse this summer!

DanLevin
    Participant

I am going to enter the 24 Hour Summer Solstice this year… As of now I am going to be a solo entry. If that won’t motivate me to get into great overall shape – I don’t know what will.

Atom
    Participant

You sir are a brave man.

I’d forgotten about that Blue Mtn. enduro. I might try that.

FastTimes
    Keymaster

After wathcing you rip Kingdom and Bromont with me last year, I think you’re more than ready to slay an enduro @jason_petznick

If I’m around I hope to give that one a go as well as the Fortune and Bromont stops on the tour.

Dean.Campbell
    Participant

I did the Quebec Singletrack Experience last year, and it was awesome. While I could go back, I think I want to spend some time riding and exploring more than racing, so I’m eyeing up a few places in Quebec, and New England to go check out for multiple long weekend, and occasional week-long trips.

That said, I’m also a bit interested in Crank the Shield, as I haven’t been to that part of Ontario in ages, and never to ride.

I have a few work trips west as well each year, so hopefully tack on some riding days out west too. I am considering volunteering at an enduro or two so I can get a feel for the events, and decide whether I want to try my hand at it in the future (very probably yes, but need to work on my riding first).

If anyone is coming up to Ottawa at all, I have a spare room and can ride from my place to Gatineau Park, where they’re adding 110kms (!!!!!) of trails to the official maps. While those trails have already been there, this means they’re sanctioned so no bad feelings over poaching.

MikeC
    Participant

3 items on my calendar that are bike related

June 24 – 100km Ride Don’t Hide – Grey Bruce. It’s a beautiful ride for a good cause in my backyard

Blue Mountain Enduro – If all lines up schedule wise I hope to race this year.

July 29 – War on the Shore Crit – Southampton, Ontario – A fun crit put on by Martin’s Bike Shop as part of Southampton’s Marine Heritage Festival. It was my first crit last year. Lots of fun, great beaches for apres swim, bars for apres beers. Brett always puts on a good event.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DAKAR
    Participant

Pisgah Stage Race 5 Days -140 miles-20,000+ elevation …. Fun Fun !

Race

Neville Park
    Participant

Hey @ mikeC – thanks for that, local to Inverhuron and utilizing the amenities of South Hampton will have to take a look at this crit race.

I would assume its on the east / west double street right in town – high St? … seems like a neat venue to watch at the very least!

MikeC
    Participant

Hey @ mikeC – thanks for that, local to Inverhuron and utilizing the amenities of South Hampton will have to take a look at this crit race.

I would assume its on the east / west double street right in town – high St? … seems like a neat venue to watch at the very least!

http://www.warontheshore.ca/

There is a map of the course. Some good tight turns. The high end guys are really fun to watch, it’s quite packed. The category I ran in was about 10 guys. It was a good battle with 3-5 guys up front and I came 3rd. I think I’d be more timid and afraid in some of the upper categories they are fast and tight.

1 user thanked author for this post.

3hill
    Participant

My list is slowly coming together!

Hoping to try out 3 Ocup xc races. Mansfield, Horseshoe, Kelso.
    Blue and Bromont National enduro. And Burke Enduro in the fall!
    Hopefully the plans all come together

FastTimes
    Keymaster

Mmmm. Burke Enduro!

We should probably go for test laps this spring 😉

That ride over to the other mountain looks soul crushing,, I like that 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX