header ad

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Bridges sabotaged 
Purposely endangering peoples lives is against the law and the police should be notified.This is no different from the fishing line incident a few years ago.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:41 am
Forum Lifer

rlxmbrg wrote:
the city has acted upon the mentioning of 'lawsuit' in the past? what happened and how did the city react? sorry, but I don't know anything about, but would like to hear about it.

In the fall of 2006 a rider hurt himself below Loblaws. According to the work crew I talked to just after the city heard the rumblings of a lawsuit. And the city dispatched a chainsaw crew- this crew to remove features in the area.

Also thanks to James Leone as well.

This is why the guy who was asking about who does trail maintneance for an "injured" friend didn't get a warm response.

Ride More, Bitch Less

http://www.runningfree.com
http://www.nsmb.com
http://www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:40 am
Forum Lifer

There is no doubt the police should be notified. I'd rather lose trails than see someone break a neck. Whoever is doing this is fucking sick in the head.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 am
Grom

i see. are the bridges legal? are the tails legal? if i build an addition to my house violating city by-laws, i won't call city's building inspector to help me out if something goes wrong. there is no better way for the city and the cops to find out what's going on where (and by whom) than that. maybe that's just me though, seeing how everything that is slightly marginal and different gets drawn into the orbit of authority and turned it into the same homogeneous shit.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:20 pm
Forum Lifer

rlxmbrg does have a point, so does roadrasher... but there will always be vandalism (i've been dealing with shit like this for years)
building techniques have to be modified to prevent this type of destruction. i think the discussion should go in that direction...

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm
Grom

Hi All,

I'm a local journalist working on a story about the bridge damage in Don Valley. If anyone has more information on this incident or others like it, please contact me.

Also does anyone have a good idea of where the bridge may be located? Even a general section of the trail would be very helpful.

I am writing the story for OpenFile.ca

Sincerely,
Tim

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:14 pm
Sport Class

singlesprocket wrote:
rlxmbrg does have a point, so does roadrasher... but there will always be vandalism (i've been dealing with shit like this for years)
building techniques have to be modified to prevent this type of destruction. i think the discussion should go in that direction...

This has always been my approach -- vandalism is an excuse to make it better. I had one drop that jerks were always ripping out. Two bags of post-crete fixed that.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:54 pm
Grom

there is probably one guy with a grudge vs. a whole bunch of people who fix these things. at one point, someone finds out who it is, or that person get's bored hiking into the don at night if things are fixed up over and over again. since it's more a seasonal thing anyways, i wouldn't worry too much about it. just be careful out there and contribute to fixing things. if you check a bridge, ride it and someone else comes your way, tell them that the bridge is safe. similar issues at the training loop turned into a way around the bridge there, which took the wind out of the sail of whoever destroyed the features.

i wouldn't turn it over to the media, so that someone gets a story out of it for his/her resume. today it's posted on the internet, tomorrow in eye magazine, now magazine or the toronto star. the day after the authorities, city planners, its bureaucrats and the police, figure out what to do about it. before we know it, we'll end up paying fines for riding the don at which point we can drive to hardwood hills. toronto is not really a cycling friendly city to begin with and r. ford is not going to make it any friendlier. from a land-use perspective, those in-between-spaces wedged between highways, train tracks, sewage canals, hydro corridors etc. are what is left over from dividing the city up into neatly zoned areas. everyone who rides the don knows that they provide space for all kinds of activities that things as long as they remain at the margins. once people shed light into these spaces, they disappear. this makes for a good story, but doesn't help people that use them.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:24 pm
Forum Lifer

When I arrived this morning I found the sabotaged bridge collapsed;
Last winter this bridge was cut in 2 spots at both ends and we repaired it. You can see the tagged on lumber from last seasons repairs.

Emma and I repaired the line so it's safe and ridable;

Further down the trail someones ripped some rungs off Chris's bridge;
There's no danger as anyone can see the hazard as they approach. I'll replace the decking in the next 24hrs.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:11 pm
Forum Lifer

They also sprinkled powdered sugar all over the trail!

ASSHOLES!!!!

Seriously though, somebody find this jerk and hurt them. Much.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Grom

I apologise in advance for being an ignoramus bout this (and darn every thing construction related) but I was wondering- is there anything that the bridges can be treated, covered or coated with on the undersides to make them more annoying or difficult for a saw to get through?
The wire mesh used on the topside of some skinnies for traction seems like it would repel a saw, as do pieces of tires nailed down in a million places... Or whole tires could be wired around to make to hard to even reach, or... is there any kind of rubberizing or hard shellac we can slather on?

The idea being to just it more difficult and annoying and time consuming to get up to this sh**. Of course nothing will stop a dedicated sicko, but making it a real pain in the arse might help.

Just putting it out there.....

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:13 pm
Forum Lifer

Thank you! Lisa?
There's a few effective ways to build tough trail. Stone is forever.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:20 pm
Forum Lifer

More on the subject;

http://toronto.openfile.ca/toronto/file ... s-cyclists

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:23 pm
Forum Lifer

intense wrote:
They also sprinkled powdered sugar all over the trail!

ASSHOLES!!!!

Seriously though, somebody find this jerk and hurt them. Much.

I believe something like this properly rigged would achieve the desired effect.

Ride More, Bitch Less

http://www.runningfree.com
http://www.nsmb.com
http://www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 pm
Forum Lifer

Tim I believe the bridge was brought down by this gentlemen: http://sizone.org/~math/dvbridge/

He found it cut and was trying to make sure no one road it and got hurt.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next